Saturday 9 July 2011

Google+, first thoughts.

Ever since Google+ started it's "limited field trial" I have been itching to give it a go. I mean, who doesn't want to play with the shiny new toys? Luckily a good friend @f1nux dropped me an invite last night. So the playing began.

I like it, whether it is a "Facebook killer" I'm unsure, but it is definitely the best social network offering from Google to date. But what about security? Google doesn't have the greatest past record when it comes to protecting personal information, and have no doubt anything posted on Google+ will be used to refine their ad serving technologies (just as Facebook do).
But I do like Google's Circles idea, which is grouping your friends into different Circles. When you post/share anything, you choose which Circles can see it. A mix of Facebook and Twitter almost.
This idea covers your profile as well. Every bit of your profile can be locked down to particular Circles, all Circles or anyone on the web, allowing you to refine who sees what. For example, my personal email address is available to my Family and Friends Circles, but my work email address is only available to my work Circle. This kind of granularity is what I have wanted in Facebook for a long time, real management of personal information.

Will it take off? Who knows, I can see it as an excellent way to run both personal and business social networking in one place. It seems the doors are closed again for now, but feel free to post your email address if you want an invite and I'll drop one across when they reopen.

2 comments:

  1. You need to look at the js that fires in plus.google.com

    thats where the security issues reside

    I can get the email address of anyone on plus simply by viewing source html code of that profile

    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ySjY7TPnPug/TiC9IHVe46I/AAAAAAAAALU/MoJ9Q9uTm0g/w402/scripting.jpg

    Facebook also has questionable js functions firing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, do you have a clearer screenshot I can take a look at?

    ReplyDelete